FIRST AID

FIRST AID

ACCIDENTS CAUSED DUE TO ACIDS

BODY BURNS

Wash with plenty of water first and then with Sodium bicarbonate solution. After the wash, apply a paste of Sodium bicarbonate – Petroleum jelly mixture on the burnt part for 10-15 minutes. Again wash with plenty of water and apply Carron oil. (An equal quantity of Lime water and Linseed oil.)

SPILLAGE IN THE EYES

Wash with plenty of water first and then with 2% Sodium bicarbonate solution followed by water again. Wipe out the water from your eyes and then put 2-3 drops of Olive oil.

SPILLAGE ON CLOTHES

Use dilute Ammonia solution to neutralise the acid. Then wash with plenty of water.

ORAL INTAKE

Gargle with water first and then drink at least 1 litre of milk or water followed by lime juice.

 

ACCIDENTS CAUSED DUE TO ALKALI

BODY BURNS

Wash with plenty of water first and then with Boric acid solution. Make a paste of Boric acid, apply on the burnt part and after 10-15 minutes wash it off.

SPILLAGE IN THE EYES

Keep open the eyelids and wash with plenty of water first and then dilute Boric acid solution (0.5%). Again clean your eyes with water. Wipe out the water and put 2-3 drops of Olive oil.

SPILLAGE ON CLOTHES

Neutralise the alkali with dilute Acetic acid solution (3%). Then wash with plenty of water.

ORAL INTAKE

Gargle with water first and then drink at least 1 litre of milk or water. Eat oranges.

BURNS CAUSED BY BROMINE

Wash the burnt part with either Alcohol or Petrol and then apply Olive oil.

BURNS CAUSED DUE TO FIRE

Apply either Petroleum jelly or Burnol on the burnt part.

WOUNDS

First remove any foreign particle (like glass pieces etc.) from the wound. Clean well with water and apply Tincture iodine, put a bandage and seek medical attention.

 

GENERAL ADVICE

For severe burns caused due to acid keep the burnt part in Sodium bicarbonate-Petroleum jelly mixture and for those burns caused due to alkali, keep in the Boric acid solution for at least half an hour. While packing compounds of Cobalt, Chromium, Cadmium, Bismuth, Barium, Lead. Tin etc., it is necessary to wear the respective safety equipments/guards (like gloves, goggles, face mask etc.). In case these chemicals are accidently consumed try to spit it out even by vomiting.

While using Formaldehyde or Hydrogen peroxide, if it falls on body or clothes, wash with plenty of water. If Copper sulphate is consumed accidently, drink a cup of warm water containing a spoon of Sodium chloride or Zinc sulphate.

It is the duty of everyone to ensure that chemicals do not come into contact with the body through their mouth, eyes, ears & nose. Also ensure that the necessary safety equipments are used.

After providing first aid, seek medical attention, if necessary.

 

FIRE

Do not use water to extinguish an electric fire as it could give a shock. Use dry powder fire extinguishers.

If solvents lighter than water (like xylene, Benzene, Acetone, Iso propyl alcohol, Methanol, Petroleum ether, Diethyl ether, etc.) catch fire, use wet blanket to cover the fire or use a suitable fire extinguisher. Splashing water on such fires could spread the flame. Be familiar with the usage of various types of fire extinguishers.

Catalogue No. 273
Category: